Thursday 18 March 2010

Matt's Big Oscar Challenge Day Three: The Project takes Wings

On my first mission to find out how many of these Oscar films I could get on DVD, I was dejected to learn that the DVD was not available. Luckily YouTube came to my aid and I found out that someone had posted the film in 14 parts. At over two hours long this silent film was a bit much to handle at first as I wasn't accustomed to the formula of the pictures followed by the dialogue putting up on the screen. Of course I've seen films like Nosferatu and Metropolis, but those are more of the neo-realism era this is a full on U.S.A.-OK film. The story deals with Jack and David two men who enrol in the Air Force while Jack's girl next door would-be love interest Mary also signs up to the Motor Corps. I thought, seeing as it was 1927, the flying sequences are particularly impressive and the music that accompanies the picture is also well judged.

However the film is archaic in its views and some of the scenes seem laughable. Men training by boxing each other and an odd scene in a Paris nightclub are two examples of where Wings goes wrong. Another probelm is the film's patriotic nature by telling us that the Americans were responsible for winning World War I and the British are portrayed as jolly men who are along for the ride. The performances are impressive especially from starlet of the time Clara Bow as Mary who's expressions made her perfect for the silent era. At the end of the day though this looks at the effects on war both on those fighting and those they've left behind. In 2010 The Hurt Locker won Best Picture but despite its superior effects and scripts it shares a lot of similarities with Wings. Whether Wings deserved to win Best Picture needs to be seen I have to watch its two competitor films but for now its a clear favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment