Saturday 13 March 2010

Matt's Big Oscar Movie Challenge

As I watch this year's Oscars I'm impressed by how many films I have seen that are in the running for the awards. However during the overlong ad breaks I find myself glimpsing back into Oscar's past and there's a LOAD of Films I haven't seen.

So here's the challenge:

To watch or in some cases re-watch every film nominated for a Best Picture Oscar before next year Oscars. But first here's some research I did.

There have been 458 films nominated for Best Picture. As not all this year's have been released over here yet I'm looking at the 448 previous Best Picture nominees.

Of those I own just 65.

As I am member of LoveFilm I am able to order another 274 of them.

That means I have to find 109 of them by other means.

I will be taking my mission decade to decade starting in the 1920s and 1930s segment. There was only one ceremony in the 1920s and the 1929 event only had three best picture contenders. From there there were two Oscars in 1930 both with five nominees and one in 1931 again with five nominees. With the exception of 1933 where there was no awards show every year the contest had ten nominees meaning that this period in total has a total of 88 films for me to watch and as you can imagine this is the time where a lot of these films are hard to come by.

I start by adding the ones I can to my LoveFilm account and the rest I will have to find by other means. And as I type my Big Oscar challenge will be starting tomorrow as my first film 1936 contender - Top Hat will be my first film to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment